Last week was a big one for the McGowan’s. Laura enjoyed some much needed time to rest and replenish with one of her closest friends in Raleigh. That meant Jack, Aidan and I enjoyed a little guy time around the house. When I say a little, I mean 51 hours.
To be honest, I loved getting that time with the boys. We had a lot of fun, ate a lot of pizza and played for hours. I will also say I developed an even deeper appreciation for my wife and all those who spend their days caring for children.
A few random observations:
- When I was in college, they sold caffeinated water on campus. We used it to make coffee. I haven’t seen that product in a while (and it’s entirely likely the FDA has banned it). That’s too bad. They should sell that stuff by the gallon at Buy Buy Baby.
- There is literally nothing a 2.5 year old boy will not try to climb. See photo above.
- Just because a 2.5 year old boy can climb up doesn’t mean he can climb down. Also, see photo above. For the record, Laura, when Jack tells you he was not being safe, got stuck and scared and that Daddy rescued him, this is what he’s talking about. Of course, he may also be talking about trapping himself in the shower in the basement. But there’s no photographic evidence of that one.
- The amount of strategic planning required to plant, fund and lead a church is nothing compared to the planning it takes to use the bathroom or shower with two little kids around the house.
- Bathing two kids at the same time leaves you as soaked as sitting on the 3rd row at Sea World.
Here’s one final one: I love being a Dad.
I know so many single guys who fear settling down, growing up and taking on the responsibility of a wife and kids. I totally get it; I was one of you for years. And, yes, I now consider 10pm staying up late and can have an in depth conversation about sleep training an infant. But I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. So, guys, don’t fear what will be one of the greatest blessings in your life.