Hopefully, you’ve heard by now that Restoration City is NOT gathering this Sunday, August 16th. We’re taking an intentional day of rest at the start of an intentional week of rest. I’m convinced it’s going to be a great day for all of us – if we use it well. That’s where this post comes in – I want to offer you some really practical thoughts on how you can get the most out of this Sunday.
What NOT To Do
Resist the temptation to use this Sunday for any of the following:
- Getting caught up on work (whether that’s your job, running errands, doing laundry or paying bills). Don’t even think about being productive!
- Visiting another church. I mean that in the least territorial, defensive way possible! But if the goal of Sunday was to participate in corporate worship, we would just meet ourselves.
- Scheduling anything you don’t want to do.
What To Expect
- Earlier this month, I recorded a 10 minute video based on Mark 6:30-44. We’ll post that to this blog early on Sunday morning as a resource to guide your morning. Check it out – it’ll give you a Biblical framework for the day.
- We’ll also post some reflection questions on Sunday morning. They’ll be the kind of questions that lead to some good reflection and journaling.
What To Do
- Block out 9am – 1pm on your calendar this Sunday, roughly the hours you devote to our weekly gathering. Don’t schedule anything.
- Develop a plan. Where do you want to go and what do you want to do during that time? Hike into the woods with your Bible? Lay out by the pool? Read and journal in a coffeeshop? Have brunch with your spouse?
- Here are the questions that should guide your planning:
- Where do you connect most with God?
- How do you ensure you get some time in the Word and prayer?
- Are you more in need of time by yourself or with a good friend?
- What is the one thing you could do this Sunday that would give life to your soul? Remember, this is all about getting time with Jesus.
- If you have kids, figure out how you want to handle them. Maybe get a babysitter? Divide 9-1 into two shifts and each of you get 2 hours to be by yourself and 2 with the kids?
Using Sunday well is going to take a little planning. Remember the goal – to get time with Jesus in a way that pours life into your soul. Don’t waste this gift by sleeping in, doing laundry and answering email. Do the things that give life to your soul!